by Leslie Clampitt
– I recently attended Click Away in San Antonio, which is a photographic education conference organized by the creators of Click magazine, Clickin Moms. This organization targets women, specifically mothers, who are either growing their photography business or just starting. We are always looking for ways to learn more about what photographers want and need, and the best way to do this is by attending various events to meet other photographers and hear the speakers.
Speakers at their 2nd annual conference this year include Jesh de Rox, Sue Bryce, Ben Sasso, Kate T Parker, Karen Walrond, and more. Most attendees photograph weddings, newborns, and other portraits. The emphasis of Click was posing and lighting techniques as well as motivational talks to encourage photographers to find their niche and progress in the industry.
Some general notes I took away from the conference include:
- Focus on your style by evaluating which of your images attracts you. Create your brand based on that.
- Photographing the way you want (not by your clients suggestions)
- Practice makes perfect. There is no secret formula to success
- Accept an appropriate amount for your time and effort (don’t underestimate your worth)
- Create natural moments for couples rather than forcing them into poses
- Find a theme for your photography that represents your brand
Here are just a few shots from the event:
If you are interested in seeing some of the speakers from the conference, Clickin Moms has a special offer here which ends October 20th.